Days Twelve-Fifteen: Something has changed within me.

Days Twelve through Fourteen:

 
Couldn't even tell you what happened on Monday.  It was a typical Monday.

Tuesday I was so exhausted after lunch that I struggled to keep my eyes open.  I had to resist the urge to put my head down at my desk and take a nap. I ate a mid-afternoon snack of strawberries and that seemed to help me through the end of the day. I try really hard not to snack, but my lunch was small because I wasn't very hungry.  I didn't have an appetite. I needed something to get me through to the end of the day.

Wednesday I got a migraine in the morning.  Took some Excedrin migraine and felt jittery from the caffeine. At least I'm more alert and awake and headache free. We had our Cantamos concert tonight and it went well. Now we have the summer off! I did have a crazy dream that I ate some sugar while on my Whole 30.  In my dream, I must have forgotten what I was doing because I ate it like it was nothing and then I started freaking out that I would have to start my Whole 30 over. It was basically a nightmare.

I've had some interesting cravings the past few days.  I do eat these things on occasion, but they aren't the first thing I go for. I've really wanted bread....or breaded things that are fried.  Or ice cream. I really want some rice. Someone give me some cookies.  I'll just have a taste of your frap from Starbucks.  Can we please get a breakfast taco? Hey, is someone making popcorn? If so, I'll have mine with extra butter. (Butter is paleo, right?)

I'm just so incredibly bored with my Whole 30 food choices. I don't ever want to see another piece of meat or eggs again. Someone just give me cake and let's be done with this.

Day Fifteen: Something has changed within me. 

 


Since Thursday marked the half-way mark in my Whole 30 journey, I thought it was about time I went to the gym.  Last summer, I spent 3-4 days in the gym.  I was really building my strength.  Even though I couldn't tell much of a physical difference, I could certainly see the difference in my endurance and my ability to add more and more weight each week to my workouts.  I felt so accomplished.  Then... I got a full time job. Working 8-5 each day zapped me of all energy to go to the gym.  I always envied my friends, like Kim and Kristen, who would spend all day at work and then go to the gym after, or even the opposite with a workout at an ungodly hour like 4am. That was certainly not happening to me. I would come home exhausted, despite doing nothing all day at work but sit, and I would fall asleep in front of the TV at 9pm. (Sometimes earlier if you ask my husband.) I was just told myself that it was MS fatigue. Excuses, excuses.  It wasn't MS fatigue.  While I do battle that on occasion, what I thought was MS fatigue was just LAZINESS. Plan and simple laziness. 

Yesterday, I changed that pattern.  I CAN go to the gym after work.  And in fact, I have MORE energy than I did after I worked out. Granted, my body is sore and getting sorer as the day goes on, but that little hour in the gym really showed me how great it is to have my energy back.  I am a little nervous about this Saturday because I am doing CrossFit with Kim and Kristen. I've never done true CrossFit and I'm scared I won't be able to do all the exercises. Hoping I won't be too sore after too!


I did experience some legitimate MS issues that I usually don't have a problem with.  I took a really hot shower because it felt so good! I refused to get out.  But, because of my heat sensitivity, I felt like a wet rag for about 20 minutes after the shower.  My increased energy that I had from going to the gym went down that drain right along with that hot water I was enjoying so much. I had to lay down with the air on cold and the fan on high for about 20 minutes. I was zapped. But, after cooling off, my energy came back and I enjoyed the rest of my evening.  Note to self: take QUICK, cool showers and avoid hot tubs, unless you want to feel like you haven't slept in days.

Eating right is one part of a healthy lifestyle.  But don't neglect the other part: exercise. If you are feeling tired and run down, do the opposite of sitting around and sleeping.  Go to the gym and lift some weights, or take a jog around the block with your dog or kids.  They certainly will love you more for it. Your health is the most important thing.  Without it, all those other important things can't happen.  Will today be the day you take charge of your life, stop making excuses, and make changes to better your health? I hope so.  I'll be here alongside you to encourage you through. Let's do this together.

Comments

  1. Carrie - you're doing so well! I love your analysis of your responses. So useful to your readers, and to your own well-being! You GO girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the timeline is so right!
    Days 12-15: Boundless energy! Now give me a damn Twinkie.

    Hurray! The slump is over! Your pants fit again! Your energy levels are better than normal – you’re downright Tigger the bouncing tiger! But something weird is happening. You’re dreaming. Not crazy nightmare or strange surrealist dreams, either. Incredibly normal and realistic dreams – about donuts. Or Twinkies. Or Snickers.* In your mind, sometimes you get caught and feel guilty. Sometimes you just brazenly eat the contraband. But then, the feelings start following you into the waking hours. Suddenly, you’re craving things you don’t even like. (For me, it’s Diet Coke and Twinkies, for Melissa Hartwig, it was fast-food cheeseburgers!) Your co-workers’ heads transform into giant Girl Scout Cookies as you gaze on in disbelief. Seriously, you’ve almost hit the halfway mark, and now this?!

    All joking aside, though, this phase gets really intense and for some people. This is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know. Our food relationships are deeply rooted and strongly reinforced throughout the course of our lives and breaking through them is really big deal. Journaling can be especially enlightening and helpful during this phase, and helpful for reflection later. Take some time to jot down what you’re craving, how you’re feeling and what tools you’re using to work through the cravings.

    *The cravings people get, and the dreams they often have, rival those of pregnancy. One person told me they craved pickles and Doritos (together) during this phase!

    Keep pushing! I'm praying for you to experience big changes that encourage you to continue eating clean and living a long, healthy ACTIVE life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: What did I get myself into?

Day Nine: Confession: I hate potato chips

Day Three: Confession: I hate bacon