Day Four: #harrypotter




Day Four: DONE.

Spent some time at Central Market this evening looking for one thing: salad dressing.  Oh, what a struggle I had finding a compliant, pre-made salad dressing.  If you are considering doing the Whole 30 plan, let me just warn you by saying: everything has sugar or soy in it.  EVERYTHING!  I left the salad dressing aisle feeling like this.
 
Ok, maybe that's a bit dramatic, but it is still frustrating. Moral of the story-- make your own. And that goes for BBQ sauces as well.

My super small kitchen.
Things are starting to look different around the Houston household, namely, my kitchen constantly looks like a tornado went through it. I am always doing dishes.  I never seem to catch up either.  As soon as I load the dishwasher, I've already filled the sink with dirty ones.

My shopping cart looks different these days as well. Gone are the pita breads, ice creams, and chocolates.  Hello to the tomatoes, lettuce, and squash.  According to the Whole 30 timeline, I should feel like I want to KILL ALL THE THINGS. (Find the timeline here.)  I will say, I feel the complete opposite... sorta like this:
I've been in a really good mood, I have energy, but I have a little bit of soreness in my shoulder muscles. I really hope to skip this traditional "Day 4: KILL ALL THE THINGS" stage.  We will see what tomorrow brings. At this point, I feel very confident that I will sail through this challenge without any major withdrawals or issues.  #naive? I hope not.

I am long overdue for a post about what WHOLE 30 is in the first place.  Here is the gist of it, according to whole30.com. I summarized the points so if you are interested in reading in more detail, please consult Whole30.com.

The Whole30 Program Rules

Yes: Eat real food.
Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. 

No: Avoid for 30 days.
More importantly, here’s what NOT to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program. Omitting all of these foods and beverages will help you regain your healthy metabolism, reduce systemic inflammation, and help you discover how these foods are truly impacting your health, fitness and quality of life.
  • Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. 
  • Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
  •  Do not eat grains. 
  •  Do not eat legumes. This includes all beans and soy.
  • Do not eat dairy. 
  • Do not eat white potatoes. 
  • Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. 
  • No Paleo-ifying baked goods, desserts, or junk foods. 


It seems extreme and you may be thinking,  


"You can't eat anything!"













But, I'd rather think of all the things I CAN eat. There are so many things that I CAN eat, that I am finding no problem coming up with food to eat. In fact, I am so much food that I am afraid I won't be able to eat it all before it goes bad. Often, I feel just like Ron Weasley. 




That's all for today. Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: What did I get myself into?

Day Nine: Confession: I hate potato chips

Day Three: Confession: I hate bacon