Day Seventeen and Eighteen: Trying New Things






Day Seventeen and Eighteen: Trying new things

Saturday

Kristen, Kim and I met up in San Antonio to hang out, talk about food, and work out.  It was great to see them! We went through old Delta Chi Rho pictures and laughed at how different we all look. In college, we weren't very concerned about healthy eating or working out. We've come a long way since then and we were celebrating our progress.

Saturday morning started with CrossFit at Kim's gym, Bedlam.

Before....
We walked into the gym and the first thing we notice is this guy wearing the tightest red pants I've ever seen a guy wear.  Turns out he was the owner of the gym.  Still.  No one should ever be allowed to wear pants like that in public. The rap music was loud and 6 guys were doing all kinds of crazy workout things. Kristen and I started to get more and more nervous. We kept asking each other, "Why are we doing this?"

Kristen and me freaking out before the workout
 
Then the workout began. First, with a warm up, which I was perfectly fine with that being the complete workout. Then into the real sets. You know, kettle bells and weights and running.  It was incredibly simple, but seriously challenging.  The workouts are only about 15-20 minutes and you are encouraged to do it as fast as possible without stopping between sets. I lacked the competitive nature that the other people had.  I just wanted to get through the workout without falling over or injuring myself. I am so thankful I had Kristen by my side to encourage me and laugh about what we were doing. Kim was a hoss and sailed through the workout minutes before we were even on our last set. But that's ok.  She was an excellent encourager as well.
After...
 
Our hands had some blisters on them from doing some sort of leg touch thing on the bar. I was surprised it happened so quickly.  Kristen's were worse than mine.
 
Blisters on our hands
 
We felt so accomplished... and sweaty.  We gave each other sweaty hugs after we finished.  Now that's true friendship!
We did it!
 
After a nice shower at the gym, we headed downtown to the Pearl Brewery area to go to the Farmer's Market.  It was such a beautiful day and there were so many vendors! It was a lot of fun seeing what everyone had to sell, but I didn't buy anything at the time. 
 
Pearl Farmer's Market
We headed to Magnolia Pancake Haus after the Pearl and the wait was only 20 minutes.  I was shocked.  I've been wanting to try this place for years and finally, I arrive to not be able to eat any pancakes or waffles.  WHAT A TRADEDY!  I had an omelet and it was....ok.  I'd rather just go to Kerbey Lane! I'll be sure to try it again in June and have REAL food aka pancakes. ;)
 

Day Eighteen

Sunday

Sunday morning I rolled out of bed feeling every muscle in my body aching. I didn't know you could be sore in your forearms. I stretched a little to help with the soreness.  I expected some soreness, but really didn't think my arms would be hurting like they did.
 
Lunch was delicious.  I made a salad with strawberries, avocado, grilled chicken and pecans on a bed of spinach.
Strawberry chicken salad
 
 It was a beautiful day in Austin so Josh and I thought it would be a great idea to go hiking in the Barton Creek greenbelt to work out my soreness. We spent some time in the river. I saved my dog from a water moccasin because she thought it was a toy. I managed to get through the hike but not without blisters on both of my feet from my wet Chacos. The walk back uphill to the car was dreadful on my poor, blistered feet. Overall, we hiked a few miles with some swim breaks in between.

I had a great weekend eating clean and being active.  What did you do?

Comments

  1. So glad you got to try Crossfit! If you are thinking about trying it on your own, I'd visit a few boxes until you find one that you connect with. We go to one that's just our type of people and it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: What did I get myself into?

Day Nine: Confession: I hate potato chips

Day Three: Confession: I hate bacon