Day One: What did I get myself into?

Today is the first day of my Whole 30 challenge. It's 9:00am. Things are great! This is easy! I can do this, right? I've got my tea on my desk (in stead of coffee) and I just finished my turkey sausage with eggs and spinach.


Homemade Turkey Sausage with Eggs from Marcia's chickens with Organic Spinach
Everything was great until.....

I read the article my friend Kim suggested about what to expect during the first 30 days of this challenge.  Why didn't I read this before I started?!  I'm going to want to "KILL ALL THE THINGS" on day four? Day 8 and my pants won't fit? Now I'm getting nervous. I ask myself, "am I going to be able to do this? Do I even WANT to do this?"

Then Ashley texts and asks what we are going to have for dinner for our clothing swap party. I wanted to ask, "is it going to be Whole 30 approved?" But I don't. She suggests flatbreads and salad.  No, it's certainly not Whole 30 approved. How am I going to tell  her that I probably won't be able to eat any of the foods she has suggested and not hurt her feelings?

Later, my coworker asks me if I'm on "that diet" yet.  I answer yes, and she tells me I am going to be very boring for the month of May...and then tries to hand me some M&Ms.

There's saltwater taffy (that I found in my pantry when I cleaned it out yesterday) staring at me in the jar on my desk. Co-workers are walking by me with breakfast tacos and fraps. Someone just microwaved something I can't have and it smells incredible.

I've been in this challenge for only a few hours and I'm already experiencing the fear of not being able to do this.  It's so contrary to our culture's way of eating so people don't understand why you would partake in such a restrictive thing in the first place. I keep wondering: Why am I doing this?  (I'll post that response at a later date because I am still trying to figure it out.) The fear is real. But I have to remind myself that I have made this commitment and I am determined to experience the benefits Whole 30 can have on my body, my mind, and my relationship with food. Luckily, I have a great support system.  Kim and Kristen are doing similar challenges for the month of May so we have each other to rely on for encouragement.

I can do this! And when I feel like I can't, I'll just look at this picture of Lexi when she was a puppy. She's just so adorable.

Lexi dog as a puppy

Comments

  1. Carrie - I think this is great! I'm going to visit Whole 30 and learn more about it, but I think blogging about the experience will help you stick with it! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, I know you have the willpower to pull through! Just remember how hard it is to go through a juice cleanse (it was for me) but how good you feel when it's done. I'll be reading your blog and cheering you on.

    -Karina

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it Curry. It's only 30 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you CAN do this. don't let others' ignorance or jealousy (that they can't commit to eating better) discourage you. the best way to overcome is to be prepared. make your own DELICIOUS clean food and make sure they get a whiff of that, then they'll be the jealous ones. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Accountability is a great way to make sure you stay on track. I have no idea what this is that you are taking on, but I know you can do it and I am here to encourage and cheer you on along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day Nine: Confession: I hate potato chips

Day Three: Confession: I hate bacon