Just Breathe


Photo by Louis Hansel @shotsoflouis on Unsplash

As a kid, I ate a banana before every violin audition or competition I had.  It was inevitable- I would get sweaty palms, shaky hands, and butterflies in the pit of my stomach before my number was called to perform. I was told that eating a banana was supposed to help calm you. I didn’t know why a banana was the cure-all for nervousness (because I really don’t like bananas!) but I was desperate for all the help I could get. If google existed back then, I would have discovered that foods rich in potassium can help regulate electrolyte balance and manage blood pressure. It’s also why they are readily available after a long race. Eating a banana is an easy way (well, only if you like bananas!) to get that much needed potassium to bring your blood pressure down, thus curbing some of those anxiety symptoms. 

Instead of telling me to reach for a banana, I wish my violin teacher would have taught me techniques to reduce those feelings of anxiety, fears, and stress, through breathing techniques and mindfulness.  Bananas only helped anecdotally, because I still entered that audition room with the same shaky limbs and sweaty palms, two things that can really hinder a violin performance. 

What I’ve learned as an adult is the power of mindfulness over our anxieties and fears. When I start to feel my heart race because I’m nervous to give a big speech (ok, sermon), or when I sense tension in my body because I am stressed about an upcoming decision I have to make or task that’s been left undone, I reach for some simple deep breathing exercises that slows my mind down and calms my body. (Example: breathe in for 3 counts, exhale for 5 and repeat for a few minutes.)

These same deep breathing exercises can be done as a way of prayer, where we can experience the benefit of increased oxygen to our brain and body and at the same time, connecting to our Creator in a personal, and vulnerable way. I find that in these days of fear over all the unknowns we are encountering, be it COVID-19, closed schools, economic markets, or quarantines, we need to implement these stress-relieving techniques even more than ever before. 

If you haven’t experienced the healing power of meditation, or breath prayers, I invite you find some time to open yourself up to a new spiritual practice.  Breath prayers are simple, one or two verses, that you repeat as you inhale and exhale. You’re likely experiencing heightened anxieties and fears this week, so my prayer for you is that this is beneficial to reduce some of the things that are weighing you down. 

First, select one or two lines from scripture that you will meditate on. They can be familiar or new.   Here is a list of examples from scripture that work great as breath prayers, as compiled by Sarah Bessey:

(From Matthew 11:28-30)
Inhale: Humble and gentle One,
Exhale: you are rest for my soul.

(From John 15)
Inhale: True Vine and Gardener,
Exhale: I abide in You.

(From Romans 8:38-39)
Inhale: Nothing can separate me,
Exhale: from the love of God.

(From Psalm 46:10)
Inhale: Be still 
Exhale: and know you are God.

(From Matt. 6:10)
Inhale: On earth 
Exhale: as it is in heaven.

(From 2 Cor. 12:9)
Inhale: Your grace
Exhale: is enough for me.

(From 1 John) 
Inhale: There is no fear
Exhale: in your Love.

(From Psalm 23)
Inhale: I will not be afraid
Exhale: for You are with me.

(From Psalm 46:1)
Inhale: You are our refuge
Exhale: and our strength.

(From Psalm 74:16)
Inhale: Both day and night
Exhale: belong to You.

(From Psalm 91:1)
Inhale: I find rest
Exhale: in Your shelter.

(From Psalm 103: 4-5)
Inhale: You surround me with love
Exhale: and tender mercies.
Inhale: You fill my life 
Exhale: with good things.

(From Philippians 4:7)
Inhale: Peace of Christ,
Exhale: guard my heart and mind.

Now that you’ve selected your meditation verse, let’s begin our prayer.

First, center yourself. 
·      Find a space that is silent and where you can sit comfortably. Place your feet in contact with the ground, and close your eyes.  Become aware of your breath. Stay in touch with all that is happening within your body as you breathe, but breathe normally. Don’t feel like you have to change up your breath. 

·      Begin to imagine you are in a place, a safe place, your own personal sanctuary.  It can be a place that you’ve visited, a place you wish to visit, or one that is made up in your imagination. How does the air smell? Is it cool? Hot? Dark? Bright? Imagine yourself in that place. 

Now that you are centered, you can begin your prayer with your selected scripture verses.  This example is from 1 John. 

Inhale. Fill your lungs completely with a deep breath of air. Feel the air filling your lungs. 
As you inhale, say: There is no fear

Exhale slowly and fully. 
As you exhale, say: in your Love.

Repeat this breathing pattern for as long as you feel you need it.  Start with ten complete breaths.  You can even switch your up your verses and see how your heart and mind respond. 

I hope you find this technique to be a way to experience relaxation and stress relief during this time of unknowns. 


Comments

  1. Hello sister Carrie. I am a Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you as a Minister to the Students. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 41yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokehearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time . I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: What did I get myself into?

Day Nine: Confession: I hate potato chips

Day Three: Confession: I hate bacon