Whole 30 experiment: DONE

Whole 30: DONE.


Well, I made it to day 30. I can't say that every day was wonderful, or that I had a great attitude about it either.  In fact, I was more grumpy and hating the rules of Whole 30 than I ever was satisfied about them. But, today is June 2nd and I have found that in the past couple of days, I have made choices that are almost exactly Whole 30 anyways.  What gives?

I thought that when I went off Whole 30, I would run to the queso and the chocolate and the cookies. Strangely, that hasn't been the case.  Sure, those things are delicious, but I feel that I have really made progress with my eating habits and I can't see ruining those by running back to old food habits.  My body isn't craving sugar  like it used to. It's funny because when I wasn't allowed sugar on Whole 30, I wanted it so much! Now that I can have it (technically), I don't even want to think twice about eating it. I managed to resist the candy that is all over my office.... and I really like Gobstoppers! The evil angel on my shoulder whispered, "One won't hurt!" But the stronger, good angel yelled, "Why waste your progress on one piece of mediocre candy? Just say NO!"  I listened to the good angel and walked away from the Gobstoppers.

My lunch today consisted of a flank steak salad, strawberries and blueberries, and some apple and banana chips. It was delicious. I sat next to a coworker as he ate a potato, egg, and cheese taco and I really didn't yearn for that tortilla like I used to. I'm really impressed with the way Whole 30 has educated me and "reprogramed" me to crave healthy foods.  I guess it's because of the obvious: I FEEL GREAT! Gone are my inconsistent energy levels, my painful gas and bloating, and my sugar cravings. I really hope I can keep this up for a while because I don't want to go back to the land of fried, processed, and unhealthy foods.

Here's a summary of the physical changes I saw from my Whole 30 experience:
I expected to lose a little weight but I was shocked to see that I lost so many inches around my body. I wish I could quantify my energy changes, but I'll just say they are greater than they've ever been!

Now the reintroduction stages start.  Saturday and Sunday I reintroduced gluten free grains.  I had some oatmeal and rice and didn't have any problems with those things.  Tomorrow, I will reintroduce dairy, mainly just cheese.  I can totally live without milk so no need to bring that back. Plus, I'm pretty sure I know what that does to me.


I am also anxious to try beer again.  It is heavy on the glutens so I will try one in my gluten reintroduction stage. Stay tuned!


Sister and I after a delicious, gluten free dinner at PF Chang's.


Comments

  1. so so proud of you friend!!! I hope this has an exponential effect on your health and that it rubs off on those around you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I have been reading your blog, and you inspire me! Awesome job! You have so much willpower!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: What did I get myself into?

Day Nine: Confession: I hate potato chips

Day Three: Confession: I hate bacon