Lavender lattes



I’m a big fan of iced oat milk lavender lattes. They have a hold on me during the summer.  And during the winter, I switch to extra hot oat milk lavender lattes (because I like my coffee to burn my mouth when I drink it. Yes, I know, it’s weird.)  I think about lattes in the middle of the day, wishing it was the appropriate time for caffeine.  At bed, I am excited to go to sleep because morning will be soon… and you know what that means- lavender latte time.  Anytime I drive on North Lamar, my Subaru’s steering wheel automatically turns into the parking lot in the search for a delicious  (and affordable) caffeinated beverage. 


Today was no different. I headed into the cafe to order my usual latte. I didn’t need any groceries on this trip so I quickly walked towards the same door I entered, trying not to get distracted by the promotions near the checkout. On my way out, I noticed a young mom juggling her freshly made smoothie and her two precious little children. She was pushing an empty stroller, the result of a restless toddler demanding to be held. The older boy was a few paces ahead, excited to get outside to the playground.  The mom was franticly calling him to slow him down and keep him beside her.


An older lady was standing nearby and turned to the mom to ask if she needed help. The mother declined, out of politeness.  But the woman insisted. “Can I hold your smoothie for you? Can I help y'all walk to the playground?” I was struck by the simple kindness of the interaction.  A human saw another human in need, and offered help. The stranger didn’t require that the young mom return the favor or do something in return before she’d help.  Help was given freely out of the selflessness of a fellow human being.


This is what the world need more of- more simple acts of love, an act for the well-being of someone other than yourself.  These acts of love are all over the place, if you slow down enough to pay attention. You’ll start to notice small acts of love in places like the grocery store, the public library, even at a busy intersection. People are putting others before themselves out of kindness to the human being in front of them. It’s a lot harder to spew hate face to face than it is to be behind a screen. It gives me hope when I’m spiraling down the drain of despair, thinking about the state of our world. 


Bishop Michael Curry writes in his book, “Love is the Way,” 


                If God is love, and love is an action, you’ve only got to get out there and do it.  You’ve got to get out there and receive it.  And the easiest way to do that is to become part of a community of people who want to give and receive love, to liberate themselves from the tyranny of self to look outward.  From a small gesture to a large sacrifice, every day provides an opportunity to do love, so long as you’re not living a life of isolation.  And if you’ve got a loving community, you can rest in God’s hands anytime you need to.”


Luckily for us, we have a loving community at First Austin filled with people who are eager and willing to get out there and do and receive love. I am convinced more than ever that the way we get through these divided times is to band together and practice a love that looks outward, that cares for our neighbors, that gives freely. 


Have you noticed love in action? How can you get out there and do love today? Notice the little acts of love that happen all around you and share it with a friend on Sunday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: What did I get myself into?

Whole 30 experiment: DONE

Day Nine: Confession: I hate potato chips