No Fear.

I tell myself that the only reason I work out is so that I can take really long, hot showers. it's what motivates me to finish my run or 20 minutes of burpies (yes, that happened today).  and if I'm completely honest, showers are a great place to get away from the responsibilities of parenting, if just for 10 minutes.  ella will just have to wait until mommy is out of the shower. #dadsarethebest  Every minute or so, I turn the knob a little to the left to make it hotter and hotter.  by the time I get out, the bathroom mirror is completely steamed over and my skin is a nice red color.  and the redder I am, the better the shower.

I do my best thinking in the shower. there's something about the warm water that relaxes my body and mind.  this day was no different, but I felt compelled to reflect on my own sermon from yesterday in blog form, after being inspired by a great new minister friend who encourages me with her blog.

Yesterday was transfiguration Sunday, as far as the revised common lectionary is concerned.  griff gave me another difficult passage, but it provided much more inspiration than my last one, which was a tough passage from genesis about Leah and Jacob.  there were so many different ways I could go with this transfiguration passage in mark. Hmm... Jesus' clothes were brilliantly white--- I feel a joke about a Tide Ad coming.  Mountaintop experiences--- well, yes, I am a youth minister and mountaintop experiences are like totally cliche for youth camp.  Personal transfiguration-- so much here. But instead, I was intrigued by the fear the disciples displayed when they encountered God.

We all respond to our fears differently.  I know that I'm going to avoid looking over the edge of a cliff because I hate that uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about the possibility of falling over the edge. but what about those other fears that aren't easily acknowledged? what about my fear of disappointing others? or my fear of someone not liking me? or my fear of failing? or my fear of not being perfect?

We can't eliminate fear. In fact, I think sometimes it motivates us. but we do have to have courage to analyze what our fears are and learn to recognize when they are irrational or not.  I have to get to the bottom of the question, "Why do I care if someone doesn't like me?" and so many other questions.

If I'm thinking about my fears now, I'll be honest and admit I'm afraid of falling short of the person I expect myself to be. I am afraid of not looking like others, or having an imperfect life. I am disappointed when I don't have things others have. I am fearful I won't be successful, that my ministry won't count for much. I'm afraid of being a bad mom. I'm constantly comparing myself to someone else, jealous of how easy their lives seem.

I have to remind myself that no one lives a perfect life, even if it seems that way on social media.  I know your house isn't "Pinterest" perfect, but you hide it so well on social media. I know you're travel photos make your life seem so exciting, but I know you're feeling alone and unhappy.

Y'all, we've got to stop letting social media rob us of our happiness. We're so distracted trying to keep up with what others are doing that we aren't seeing how our own friendships are deteriorating, our marriages are crumbling, and our children are growing up in front of our eyes.

I am going to use this upcoming time in Lent to get to the bottom of one of my biggest fears, comparison of myself to others. To do that,  I have to get off social media. Social media, for me, is when I'm most distracted by my own fears of inadequacy.  If I cut off the source, maybe I'll have some time to myself to realize my strengths and value.  I know I'll have more time! Maybe I'll blog a little more. Maybe I can read for fun! But I do pray that I am able to spend more time with my creator, and reflect on the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.  Will you journey with me?

Also, who remembers this cheesy logo from the 90s? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One: What did I get myself into?

Day Nine: Confession: I hate potato chips

Day Three: Confession: I hate bacon